Dear Reader,
Did Jesus ever stub His toe?
At first, the question may seem almost foolish.
Yet while reading Isaiah 53, I found myself thinking more deeply about the humanity of Jesus Christ.
We often speak of Christ as the Son of God—the Messiah, Redeemer, and Savior of the world. And rightly so. But in emphasizing His divinity, I wonder if we sometimes forget how fully He entered mortal life.
Jesus was born as an infant, grew as a child, became hungry and thirsty, grew tired and slept. He walked dusty roads, worked with His hands, knew friendship and rejection, and wept.
And yes, though Scripture does not say so, I suppose He could even have stubbed His toe.
That small thought points to something much larger.
Isaiah wrote:
“He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief.”
—Isaiah 53:3
Those words, “acquainted with grief,” have begun to mean something more personal to me.
In recovery, I have learned that one way we help others is by remembering where we once stood.
When I sit with a newcomer struggling simply to stay sober, I do not have to imagine fear, regret, confusion, or uncertainty. I remember my own early recovery.
I remember facing the past honestly—the pain of taking inventory, admitting wrongs, and making amends. I also remember learning that recovery was not only about stopping drinking; it was about rebuilding a life.
Those experiences do not compare with the suffering Isaiah describes in Jesus Christ. Still, they have taught me something about compassion.
When we have known pain ourselves, we can sometimes sit more gently beside someone else who is hurting.
Over the years, service has become part of that lesson. Sometimes it has meant feeding people who are homeless. Sometimes it has simply meant listening.
Today, part of my service is helping manage our Intergroup twenty-four-hour hotline, where someone struggling with alcohol can reach another alcoholic who understands what they are going through.
The volunteer may not know exactly what the caller is facing, but they can say, in one way or another:
I have been there too. You do not have to face this moment entirely alone.
And that brings me back to Isaiah.
“Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows.”
—Isaiah 53:4
Christ did not observe suffering from a distance. He entered it. He knew physical pain and loneliness.
He knew betrayal, rejection, misunderstanding, and abandonment.
Isaiah continues:
“He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities.” —Isaiah 53:5
My recovery gives me only the smallest glimpse of what it means to understand another person’s suffering through experience.
Christ’s understanding is infinitely greater.
When we hurt, we do not turn to a Savior who merely understands pain in theory.
We turn to One who has experienced it—who grieved and wept.
When we feel abandoned, we turn to One who knew abandonment.
When we are ashamed of what lies behind us, we turn to One who forgives and redeems.
Perhaps that is one lesson of recovery: our wounds can either close us inward or make us more compassionate toward the wounds of others.
The things I once wished I could erase from my life have become part of what allows me to understand the newcomer who calls for help today.
Not because I have all the answers, but because I know something about starting over.
The question, “Did Jesus ever stub His toe?” may still sound insignificant.
But behind it lies a profound truth:
Jesus Christ came close enough to humanity to know our pain, and He loved us enough to suffer for us.
Perhaps Isaiah’s description of Him as “a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief” invites us to do more than admire Christ from a distance.
It may invite us to feel His humanity and then ask ourselves:
Can I become a little more human in the way He was human?
Can I listen more carefully, judge less quickly, and sit beside someone who is hurting without needing to fix everything? Can my own life become a source of compassion rather than bitterness?
If Christ entered fully into the human experience to lift us, then perhaps following Him means being willing, even briefly, to enter into another person’s experience.
To see them, listen to them, remember our own wounds, and say:
I understand you. You do not have to walk this path alone.
That may be one way we begin to understand not only the suffering of Christ, but also the humanity He asks us to share.
🙏🧘♂️💕🤗☮️

No comments:
Post a Comment