Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Hear Me, Lord

 


Hear Me, Lord

Dear Reader,

Today, in preparation for teaching some of the Psalms in the Old Testament, I came across Psalm 102.

The opening lines of the psalm struck me:

"Hear my prayer, O LORD;
let my cry for help come before You.

Do not hide Your face from me
in my day of distress.
Incline Your ear to me;
answer me quickly when I call."

- Psalm 102:1-2

The psalmist is not simply asking God to fix a problem; he is asking for God's presence. That distinction matters.

Often, what makes suffering most frightening is not the pain itself, but the sense that we must face it alone. I remember the loneliness I experienced near the end of my drinking and drug use. There seemed to be no companion, friend, or family member willing or able to reach me in that lost state of living. I still remember that pain when moments of sadness enter my life today.

The older wording, "Hide not thy face from me," could also be expressed this way:

"Lord, whatever happens, do not let me lose the assurance that You are near."

In desperate moments we seem to cry, "Answer me speedily." This is deeply human. Scripture teaches us to wait patiently on the Lord, but Psalm 102 also shows that God receives the urgent prayer that says, "I do not know how much longer I can bear this. I need You now."

Such a prayer is not a lack of faith. In many ways, it is a profound expression of faith.

The psalmist cries out because he believes Someone is listening.

Likewise, even in moments of despair, I find myself praying because I truly believe that God, as I understand Him, is present and listening.

Over the years of my recovery, there have been times when my faith has weakened. Yet the psalmist reminds me:

"But thou, O Lord, shalt endure for ever."
- Psalm 102:12

In simple terms: Even when my world feels temporary, God is eternal.

I have learned time and again that what appears unbearable can be borne through the power of God and His Son, Jesus Christ. This changes my perspective. I may still experience fear, sorrow, or uncertainty, but I am no longer abandoned to them.

God has not disappeared. My circumstances may change, my emotions may rise and fall, and my understanding may sometimes fail me - but God remains.

In those darker moments, the prayer God desires is not always the polished one, but the honest one:

"Hear me, Lord. Stay near me. I need You."

That is not weak faith. It is faith reduced to its truest form: dependence upon God.

May we all come to know such humility.

No comments: