Dear Reader,
Tonight I was asked to chair an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting on the subject of responsibility.
After offering a brief message, the meeting was opened for others to share their own experience, strength, and hope on that subject. As I listened to each member speak, I found myself impressed by another thought: my responsibility as a listener.
Later, I came across this reflection from Tiny Buddha:
“Empathy has no script. There is no right way or wrong way to do it. It’s simply listening, holding space, withholding judgment, emotionally connecting, and communicating that incredibly healing message of ‘You’re not alone.’”
That thought stayed with me.
My experience in recovery, and especially as an AA sponsor, has taught me that communication is one of the building blocks of good relationships. What we say matters, and how we say it matters. Yet listening is just as important. Not merely listening to hear words, but listening to understand in a way that helps another person feel seen, heard, and valued.
This is what is often called empathetic listening.
To me, empathetic listening is where compassion stops being an idea and becomes an act. It is the quiet act of giving another person our attention without judgment, correction, comparison, or a prepared response. By becoming still and calm, we offer not only our ears, but our presence, our patience, and our willingness to understand the feelings that may lie beneath the words.
In that kind of listening, something changes within us. We move away from asking, “What should I say?” and toward saying, “Tell me more. I want to understand how you are.” In that moment, we offer a deeply healing message: “You matter. I am here. You are not alone.”
I believe this is more than a communication skill. It is a spiritual grace.
It is also, in a very real sense, a form of Christlike love.
The Savior was never in a hurry to overlook the one soul before Him. Again and again in the scriptures, He noticed people. He allowed them to speak. He understood their sorrow, their fear, their longing, and their faith. Before He taught, He often first made people feel known. Before He healed, He often first made them feel seen.
How many hearts were opened simply because Jesus gave them His attention?
How many lives were lifted because He responded not only to words, but to the deeper need of the soul?
When we listen with kindness, restraint, and love, we do something holy. We create a small space where another person may feel safe enough to tell the truth. And when truth is spoken in a place of mercy, healing can begin.
I am reminded of the counsel found in scripture to be “swift to hear, slow to speak” (James 1:19). Those few words contain great wisdom. Sometimes our first responsibility is not to answer, but to hear. Not to instruct, but to understand. Not to speak over another person’s pain, but to sit beside them in it.
Returning to the meeting this evening, I realize now that by truly listening, I was also being taught. Each person who shared enlarged my understanding—not only of the subject, but of the person speaking and of what mattered to them. That kind of knowledge is seldom gained when my own mouth is open.
It is my hope as well that each person who spoke tonight felt, if only for a moment, that they were seen, heard, and not alone.
Listening and empathy have no script. Yet perhaps that is because love itself does not always begin with words. Sometimes it begins with attention. Sometimes it begins with silence. And sometimes it begins when one child of God is willing to listen to another with the compassion of Christ.
🙏🧘♂️💕🤗☮️

No comments:
Post a Comment