Saturday, August 29, 2026

The Peace within Us

 

Good morning, Dear Reader,

Today I offer a reflection on two thoughts that at first seem to speak about different kinds of peace.

“Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.”

—Marcus Aurelius

And

“We cannot buy our own peace of mind at the expense of others.”

—Alcoholics Anonymous, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 84

Consider this: one thought turns us inward, while the other turns our attention toward those around us. Yet I believe they describe two sides of the same spiritual truth.

All too often I have believed that my personal peace would come if only something outside of me would change—if another person behaved differently, if a problem disappeared, if circumstances became easier, or if the past could somehow be rewritten.

Yet through lived experience, I have come to understand that life rarely grants me that kind of control.

So, as Marcus Aurelius reminds me, I must look elsewhere for the peace I seek.

In Recovery, I have discovered that within each of us there is a quiet place where we can examine our thoughts, surrender what we cannot change, and decide how we will respond to what life has placed before us.

In my case, prayer and meditation have become part of entering that quiet place.

It is there that I can ask:

·    What belongs to me?

·    What must I release?

·    What can I change?

·    What kind of person do I wish to be when I leave this quiet place and return to the world?

There is another important lesson here.

Inner peace cannot simply mean protecting myself from discomfort.

·    Sometimes what looks like peace is actually avoidance.

·    I might remain silent because speaking truth would be uncomfortable.

·    I might withdraw rather than make amends.

·    I might insist upon getting my own way because surrender feels too difficult.

It is entirely possible that I might even convince myself I am protecting my serenity while leaving someone else to carry the consequences of my actions.

This is where the wisdom of Alcoholics Anonymous becomes important:

We cannot purchase our own peace at another person’s expense.

True serenity does not require someone else to lose theirs.

The peace discovered within the soul should eventually appear in our relationships—with greater patience, honesty, forgiveness, humility, and a willingness to make things right.

Jesus taught:

“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.”

—Matthew 5:9, KJV

Notice that He did not simply bless those who possess peace. He blessed those who make peace.

I have come to accept that this begins with me.

When I enter the quiet sanctuary of the soul, I pray. I listen. I examine myself honestly. I allow God to straighten what has become confused within me. Then I carry that peace back into the world.

I try not to demand that others change so that I may be peaceful. Instead, I ask how my own words and actions might become instruments of peace.

I am learning that serenity is not isolation from other people.

It is learning to remain spiritually grounded while living among them.

The quiet retreat Marcus Aurelius describes is therefore not a place in which I hide from life.

It is a place where I prepare myself to return to life differently.

So I ask you, Dear Reader: Is the peace you seek meant only to quiet your own soul, or can the peace you discover within become peace offered to those around you?

If we choose the latter, then I believe we may be discovering something deeper than tranquility.

We may be discovering the peace Christ spoke of when He said:

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you.”

—John 14:27, KJV

Perhaps that is the peace I am seeking—not simply freedom from disturbance, but the kind of peace that changes how I respond to others.

Peace begins within, but Christ asks me to carry it beyond myself.

And when I am uncertain how to do that, perhaps there remains one simple question worth asking:

“What would Christ do?”

The choice, ultimately, is ours. For my part, I choose the peace that comes from asking that question.

No comments: