Monday, September 7, 2026

Aging, Usefulness, Dignity, Purpose, and God's Work



Dear reader.

Today marks the anniversary of Queen Elizabeth I’s birth. In her honor, I looked at several sayings attributed to her.

  • "Monarchs ought to put to death the authors and instigators of war, as their sworn enemies and as dangers to their states.

  •  "I do not choose that my grave should be dug while I am still alive."


The language in the first quotation is severe, especially the phrase “put to death.”

Given Elizabeth I’s era and the growing threats England faced from Catholic princes and kings, it is plausible that these were her words. However, the quotation appears only in a historical collection that attributes it to Elizabeth in conversation with the French ambassador Fénelon and cites Frederick Chamberlin’s The Sayings of Queen Elizabeth (1923).

 

I chose this quotation not to make a political comment about today’s kings, princes, or leaders, but to invite reflection on a nation’s policy toward war and the solemn responsibility leaders bear for the human suffering their counsel may cause.


I believe Elizabeth understood that an unnecessary war would reflect upon the monarch who chose it, making that ruler an enemy of the very people they claimed to protect. That thought is not lost on me today.


Turning to the second quotation: I do not choose that my grave should be dug while I am still alive.”

Elizabeth likely spoke these words in 1566 while facing Parliament’s pressure over the question of succession.


Today, I hear the words differently. Many seniors, myself included, are told to step back and simply enjoy the fruits of our labor. Even Ecclesiastes reminds us that mortal life is brief and ends in dust.

That may be fitting for some, but in my experience, I choose not to withdraw from active life because of age. Seniors continue to make meaningful contributions in science, literature, art, service, and care for those in need. Age need not impose a fixed limit, especially now that study tools, enrichment opportunities, and AI are opening new paths for learning and purpose. 

In paraphrase, I hear Elizabeth saying, “Do not decide that my useful life is finished while I am still living it.

For those of faith, I believe God’s work is never limited by age, usefulness, or physical limitations. Every person has a God-given right to live fully and with dignity. As long as God gives us breath, He may still have something for us to become, something for us to learn, and someone for us to serve.

🙏🧘‍♂️💕🤗☮️

No comments: