Dear Reader,
Today I attended an evening AA meeting where the topic was “Carrying the Message.”
In Alcoholics Anonymous, those words have deep meaning. They remind us that recovery is more than simply not drinking. The traditional Circle-and-Triangle symbol represents AA’s Three Legacies: Recovery, Unity, and Service. Recovery gives us a new way of living. Unity reminds us that we do not walk alone. Service asks us to share with others what has so freely been given to us.
We carry hope. We carry honesty. We carry the witness that a life once broken can, by the grace of God, be restored.
Returning home after the meeting, I began preparing for this Sunday’s church lesson on Proverbs 10–24. At first, the two subjects might seem unrelated. Yet as I read, I began to see how naturally they belong together.
Proverbs teaches that to fear the Lord is not merely to believe in God, but to allow reverence for Him to shape our words, our choices, our relationships, our work, and the way we treat one another.
“The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.”
— Proverbs 15:33 (KJV)
The more I worked on the lesson, the more I realized that the AA idea of carrying the message blends beautifully with the wisdom found in Proverbs. Both ask a similar question: What does what I believe look like when it is lived?
As I walk through life, I am the message I carry.
What I say matters, but how I live eventually gives my words their meaning. I may speak of recovery, faith, humility, and trust in God, but the people I meet will also encounter my patience or impatience, my honesty or avoidance, my willingness to serve or my tendency to remain centered on myself.
This does not mean that recovery makes us perfect, nor that faith makes us flawless. It means that there should gradually be evidence of the direction in which we are walking.
To me, applying Proverbs means seeking to walk a path of righteousness—not merely speaking about spiritual principles, but allowing them to influence my conduct. When recovery and faith begin to change the way I actually live, my life itself becomes a testimony to what the grace of God can accomplish.
Proverbs teaches that wisdom is often seen in very ordinary places:
• in a gentle answer,
• in restraint of speech,
• in diligence at work,
• in humility rather than pride,
• in mercy toward the poor,
• in honesty of heart,
• and in a willingness to receive correction.
AA recovery teaches something remarkably similar. Recovery becomes visible in the quiet evidence of a changed life—one day at a time. A message about recovery becomes more believable when it can be seen in someone who shows up, keeps a commitment, listens before speaking, admits a mistake, makes amends when necessary, and becomes willing to help another person.
One day at a time, our words are given credibility by our conduct.
A person may say many spiritual things, but eventually life reveals something about the message truly being carried. Am I carrying resentment or peace? Pride or humility? Fear or trust? Self-will or a growing willingness to surrender my life more fully to God?
These are not questions I ask in order to judge myself harshly. They are questions that help me examine the direction of my journey.
Perhaps the most meaningful message we carry is not found in our ability to explain truth, but in our willingness to be shaped by it.
The fear of the Lord, as Proverbs teaches, is not terror. It is reverence. It is a heart that gives God His rightful place. And when God is given His rightful place, our words can soften, our choices can grow wiser, our relationships can become more honest, and our work can become more faithful.
Little by little, we begin to carry a more meaningful message—one of hope, change, healing, and a better way of living.
Perhaps carrying the message begins with words, but eventually it must become a way of life.
And that may be one of the clearest forms of carrying the message.
So today I am left with this thought:
I am the message I carry.
May the message I carry in this life not merely be one of speech, but one of character.
May it reflect recovery, humility, compassion, and truth.
And may the reverence I profess toward God become visible in the way I live among His children.

No comments:
Post a Comment