Dear Reader,
This morning a friend sent me a quotation from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:
“Glorious indeed is the world of God around us, but more glorious the world of God within us.”
There is much around us that speaks of God. We see Him in the morning light, in the quiet of the trees, in the movement of the sea, in the vastness of the sky, and in the small mercies that still visit ordinary days. Creation has a way of reminding us that life is more than routine and that the world still carries traces of divine beauty.
Yet Longfellow suggests something deeper: that as glorious as God’s creation is around us, there is a greater glory to be found within us.
I reflect further!
It is one thing to admire beauty in the world. It is another thing to become a person through whom the beauty of God is revealed.
Not all of us stand before mountains or oceans each day. Not all of us wake to scenes that stir awe. Many days are much plainer than that. They are filled with chores, appointments, worries, aches, losses, and responsibilities. But even in such days, the world of God within us can still shine.
So I offer a more personal quote:
“Search not the skies nor the ocean depths for the peace of God, for true grace radiates from within the heart that lives with compassion.”
— Anonymous
I believe this quote carries a needed truth.
We often look outward for peace. We imagine that if only the setting were different, the circumstances easier, the people kinder, or the burdens lighter, then peace would finally come to us. We search the horizon hoping something external will quiet the soul.
But the peace of God does not come to us merely because we stand in beautiful places. It comes more deeply when the heart is softened by grace.
That grace becomes visible in compassion.
The world of God within us is not measured by how spiritual we sound, how many scriptures we can quote, or how deeply moved we are by beautiful thoughts alone. It is revealed in how we live. It appears when we become more patient, more forgiving, more understanding, more willing to carry another’s burden, more ready to listen, more willing to love.
A compassionate heart is one of the clearest witnesses of God’s work within a person.
If I claim to love the beauty of God, but remain harsh, proud, or indifferent to others, then something within me has not yet fully yielded to His grace. But when I offer kindness, when I restrain judgment, when I choose mercy, when I see another person not as a problem but as a soul, then the world of God within me becomes a little more visible.
I do not believe Longfellow meant that humanity is divine in itself. Rather, I hear in his words the truth that God has placed within us the capacity to receive His light, reflect His love, and let His Spirit shape our inner life. The glory within us is not self-created. It is God-given. It is His image, His grace, His presence working upon the heart.
For the Christian, this becomes especially meaningful.
Christ did not simply teach us to admire goodness. He taught us to embody it. He showed that the life of God within us must find expression in love toward others. Compassion is not an ornament of faith; it is one of its living fruits. When grace touches the heart, it does not remain hidden there. It moves outward in mercy.
So today I am left with this simple thought:
The beauty of God around us may inspire us, but the beauty of God within us is what transforms us.
And when that inward grace becomes compassion, the peace of God begins to radiate outward—not only blessing our own hearts, but also touching the lives of those around us.
May we not only admire the works of God around us, but also welcome the work of God within us.
And may that inner work be seen in the compassion we extend, the peace we carry, and the love we give.


No comments:
Post a Comment