Dear Reader,
Today I received a text from a friend containing a quotation from Helen Keller:
“Life is an exciting business, and most exciting when it is lived for others.”
— Helen Keller
In itself, the quotation carries a beautiful message: life becomes richer, happier, and more meaningful when our attention moves beyond ourselves toward service, generosity, and love for others.
Still, I choose not to stop with one thought. Sometimes an idea becomes clearer when we hear it echoed through other voices and then consider what those words ask of us.
In my own journey of recovery and faith, I find the words of Albert Einstein especially direct:
“Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”
— Albert Einstein
In those words I find both guidance and direction: to be of service wherever possible. I do not choose service for praise or recognition, but because something changes within me when I turn toward another person. Service brings a quiet joy of its own.
Perhaps that is also the meaning found in the words of Booker T. Washington:
“Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.”
— Booker T. Washington
Looking back over the span of my life, some of my happiest moments and most rewarding experiences have come from being a friend, a helper, and a companion to others. I have learned that giving of ourselves does not diminish us; very often, it enlarges the heart.
Spiritually, I find the same direction in two other familiar sources. Jesus Christ taught:
“The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister.”
— Matthew 20:28, KJV
And in the prayer commonly known as the Prayer of St. Francis, we read:
“For it is in giving that we receive.”
— Prayer of St. Francis
That prayer continues with a series of outward-looking choices: where there is hatred, bring love; where there is injury, bring pardon; where there is despair, bring hope. Its message is not merely to think about goodness, but to become an instrument of it.
So today, I feel a little clearer about the next right thing before me: look beyond myself and find someone I can serve.
A life turned outward becomes exciting.
A life spent helping becomes happier.
A life lived for others becomes worthwhile.
Perhaps that is enough guidance for today:
turn outward, help someone, and discover what happens within.
What guiding message accompanies you today?
🙏🧘♂️💕🤗☮️

No comments:
Post a Comment